about 1 quart
This well balanced slaw is based on an old Southern family recipe. Feel free to add shredded carrots or purple cabbage, chopped green onions or red onion, or a handful of chopped herbs. Because cabbage has such a natural affinity for pork, it’s the perfect topping for barbecue sandwiches or the classic Slaw Dog.
- ½ cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise or Blue Plate® Light Mayonnaise with Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- Generous pinch sugar or sugar substitute
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 (14- to 16-ounce) bag shredded coleslaw mix or about 7 cups shredded cabbage (1/2 large head)
- MIX mayonnaise, vinegar, celery seeds, sugar or sugar substitute, salt and pepper in the bottom of a large mixing bowl until well combined.
- ADD cabbage and toss until well coated. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- COVER and refrigerate until serving. Keeps well up to four days.