Over-the-Top Banana Bread
This banana bread is sensational. Add a half cup of chocolate chips for an even more over-the-top delight. The mayonnaise makes this bread so moist it can be a bit difficult to determine when it is done. Just keep testing with a toothpick every 10 minutes, until it comes out free of crumbs.
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 cup Blue Plate® Mayonnaise
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch by 5-inch baking pan with nonstick spray.
- MASH bananas with a fork in a large measuring cup. Medium bananas should measure about 1 ½ cups. If this is the case, add the entire 1 cup mayonnaise. If the bananas are larger, add slightly less mayonnaise, probably about ¾ cup, to equal 2 ½ cups total bananas and mayonnaise.
- BEAT in a large bowl the egg, sugar, banana-mayonnaise mixture and vanilla, until mixed well. In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Fold into banana mixture with pecans (and chocolate chips, if using) just until no streaks of flour can be seen. Turn into the prepared baking pan.
- BAKE 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center. Cool on a rack 15 minutes, then remove from pan. Cool completely, then wrap in foil. Keeps well up to 5 days. Freezes well.