Like our Tomato Pie, this is a treat to make when really good tomatoes are available. It’s astonishing how good only three ingredients – tomato, bread and mayonnaise — can be. (Of course, you can embellish the sandwich with avocado or a couple slices of bacon.) Use any bread, but one of the best choices is sturdy country white.
- 1 or 2 slices bread
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 1 tablespoon Blue Plate® Mayonnaise or Blue Plate® Light Mayonnaise with Greek Yogurt per slice of bread
- TOAST the slice/s of bread in a toaster or toaster oven.
- CUT tomato with a serrated knife into several thick slices. Layer onto paper towels and fold, to drain while the bread toasts.
- SPREAD 1 tablespoon mayonnaise on each piece of toast (If you are using 1 slice of bread, slice it in half after spreading).
- LAYER tomatoes on one side and top with the second piece of bread. Press together. Cut in half if desired.
- SERVE at once.